CUT GLASS DISPLAY:
The Cut Glass display belongs to Mr. H.C. Brillhart, Jr. and is on loan to the Museum.
THE SPENCER PARLOR:
This room depicts what a home may have looked like in 1919. The fainting couch was for the ladies; they wore corsets under their dresses, and these were cinched up tightly to make their waists seem very small and from time to time they needed to lie down. The “Murphy bed” would make out into a bed at night and could be folded up in the daytime. Space was very important. The piano was brought to the county in a covered wagon and was in a home that was called a “dugout”. A “dugout” means part of the house is in the ground.
In 1999, the Chapel was relocated to the center of the Fine Arts Building. This reflects the church as the center of the spiritual, culture, and social force in the community. It is comprised of stained glass from the First Baptist Church, arches from the belfry of the First Methodist Church, and the mural of the Jordan River by Garcia Halstead; which was done in memory of Mr. and Mrs. J.B. Conley in 1948.
The pulpit was built for the First Methodist Church by C.E. Forbes, Perryton’s first mayor. The memorial stained glass windows are Samuel and Amanda Brillhart & family, George M. Perry and Miss Nellie Perry, Smith and Linda Ellis & family, and S.J. and Charlotte Allen.
In the early years, the church was the main place to gather for the people. They not only went to church on Sunday, but used the building for school, meetings, and for fun things such as birthday parties, weddings, and for celebrations.
The horse sculptures belong to Harold & Joyce Courson. They are carved from one piece of Black Walnut wood. They were carved by Chester Armstrong from Oregon. They are on loan to the Museum.
THE ALLEN BEDROOM:
This bedroom is a typical bedroom from the 1920’s; 1930’s and ‘40’s.